Monday, April 22, 2013

Autism Understanding & Acceptance 2013, Day 19

And now, for the first time, I will talk a little religion here. And I might be a little irreverent, so be warned.


I don’t know if God chose us for this. I have a hard time believing that a master puppeteer decided all of this, or that God saw how awesome Rob & I would be raising a child with a disability and gave us Thomas. People have told us this numerous times. Maybe that’s how it works. I don’t know.

Honestly, in the early days when people said this to us – meaning nothing but to uplift us – I would smile politely and thank them, but my internal reaction was “God CHOSE us for this? Well thanks a lot God – you can kiss my ass!” Hey, I figure if the Psalmists can yell at God, it must be okay. So I have, plenty of times.

Here are some things I DO know: God is with us every step of the way. Worrying with us. Raging against the machine with us. Empowering us. Guiding us. Crying and rejoicing with us.

Another thing: our son is connected with God in a very deep and real manner, quite possibly much deeper than many of us NT’s (Neuro Typicals). In fact, I’m quite sure of that.

And finally, this I know: when something happens, God sends help. For us, it has been in the form of angels in disguise sent to help: friends who stuck by us when it was really hard & uncomfortable to do so, people who came into our life just at the right time to lead us to a new idea, or ultra-talented therapists who fell in love with Thomas and made a huge impact.

I believe that our lives have been enhanced by Thomas and all he is. And for that, I do thank God. I do not thank God for autism, but I thank God for Thomas and all the joy he brings us every day.

No comments: