Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Good night, Goodnights?

I don’t want to jinx anything, but…it in the past two weeks (maybe more) T has had only one accident overnight. Other than that one time, he has been dry every morning. He's even been sleeping in underwear.

Could it be?

Are our days of buying diapers over?

Got the vaccine

Our county has decided to use their H1N1 vaccine supply by inocculating all the school children at their schools (whose parents have signed a release form, of course). I took them up on their offer, and T got the nasal flu mist today. He is in good spirits tonight, happy & a little tired, but earlier this afternoon, he quickly spiked a temperature of 100 degrees - but then it came down to normal w/in 90 minutes. They didn't even call me to come get him because it came & went so quickly. I'm feeling very relieved, but will still watch carefully for the next few days.

I told Rob last night that I felt like, with this decision, I was stepping off a path we've been on for 4 years and headed down a new path. Because of that, I have been feeling anxious about it. But I also have calmed myself by remembering that so much information has come to me this year about vaccines and their safety (or at least the other side of the story)...I have to believe that there was a reason for that shift, and maybe it was to prepare me to help make this decision to get the H1N1 vaccine for him. And relying on T as the best data & research we've got (and he's never reacted badly to any vaccine), we did it.

Now we wait for any reaction.

I think it is going to be fine.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

H1N1 vaccine decision

We’re going to get T that vaccination. I’ve struggled with this decision for awhile, but Rob & I are in agreement. The final clincher came to me when I thought back on this year…attending the conference where I head Paul Offit speak, doing research on both the pros and cons of vaccinations, weighing our options and looking back at T’s experience w/ getting his vaccinations…and I thought that perhaps this is why all this pro-vaccine information came into my life this year. I was being prepared to make this decision. T has never had an adverse reaction to vaccines. He is fully vaccinated. He didn’t regress. And I’ve heard enough about the high-risk populations – he’s in two: 1) he’s under age 24 and 2) he is developmentally delayed and might have some neurological challenges. And I’ve also heard enough about dead kids.

I can deal with side effects. Hell, we’re already dealing w/ autism, if that’s what everyone’s scared of. But I don’t want to deal with dead.

But here’s the caveat: if at all possible, I don’t want him getting the vaccine with thimerosol. Research has exonerated this preservative, but I’m still not jumping up & down with glee over the prospect of injecting him with it. I was able to find a thimerosol-free injection for his seasonal flu shot, now I just need to track one down for H1N1. Wish me luck and good timing – it will probably have to be a “right place at the right time” sort of situation.

Now we just need to find a vaccine. Our county has held a few huge clinics – thousands of people lined up for hours – and I have not taken him to any of those. Yeah, standing line for hours with a child who has trouble holding still and exposing ourselves to all the germs that those thousands of people surely would bring…and then there would be no guarantee that he’d get a thimerosol-free version…nope…not signing up for that. So I’m praying for a calm, stress-free opportunity to get him either the nasal spray version or the single-dose injection.

Fingers crossed.