Monday, April 22, 2013

Autism Awareness & Understanding 2013, Day 17

ABA.  It works. 
I do not remember how I was connected with Elena, but that doesn’t really matter. What matters is that I WAS connected with her.


I went to her home to see what they were doing and how they were supporting their son. He was homeschooled in a full-time ABA program, utlizing two therapists who worked with him during school hours. What I remember the most was the basement of this house: a big trampoline and a swing! What a wonderland for a kid on the spectrum – or any kid, for that matter.

I was not the first to come see her set-up at their home, and she and the therapists welcomed us warmly into this wonderful little world. Thomas showed interest in the trampoline, so one of the therapists hopped up on the trampoline with him. He was having so much fun he didn’t know she was putting him to work.



*Jump*Jump*Jump*

(Thomas grinning & laughing)

*Jump*Jump*Jump* Stop

Therapist: “Hey Thomas, say mmm”

Thomas: (grinning) “Mm.”

Therapist: “GREAT job!”

*Jump*Jump*Jump*

(Thomas grinning & laughing)

*Jump* Jump*Jump* Stop

Therapist: “Hey Thomas, say ‘mama.’”

Thomas: “Mama.”

And I was hooked. He said Mama. He was having fun. I saw it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears: ABA worked for him.

Thank you, Elena. Thank you, therapist.

He said Mama.



Next up: ABA works. How do we get it?

No comments: