Thursday, April 17, 2014

Autism Understanding & Acceptance 2014 Day 18: "The Reason I Jump"

In keeping with the theme "What has been helpful" this year, I must include books that have opened my eyes in one way or another.  This is the most recent book I've read on the subject of autism.  The Reason I Jump is written by a 13 year old young man from Japan who has autism named Naoki Higashida.  It written and translated in question/answer format.  I felt as I was listening to this book (I do a lot of "reading" via audiobooks these days) that I was getting an honest & true glimpse into a mind that is absolutely different, but not one iota less.

The recurring theme that Naoki shares is: be patient with us.  We don't want to cause heartbreak or stress.  So stick with us when we are having a rough time.  Sometimes we just can't help it. We want to please you, we want to do well.  

After hearing this young man's book, I have doubled my efforts not only to keep my cool when T is having a rough time, but also to imagine what he is going through at that moment.  It doesn't make those times easier necessarily, but it does help me get out of my own head during those times.

No comments: