Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Autism Understanding & Acceptance 2014 Day 17: Craniosacral therapy, Myofacial release, Reiki: alternative energy work




Over the years, we have tried lots of alternative treatments & therapies, not wanting to leave any stone unturned.   We have kept a group of treatments that I will categorize as Energy Work in T’s regular treatment plan: Craniosacral therapy, Myofascial release, and some Reiki when possible.   One of his previous therapists even knew how to do muscle testing, and created wonderful liquid tinctures that T’s body “told her” it needed.  All of this gets difficult for me to explain in definitive terms…except that I keep it up for him because I believe that it is helping.  He is a child whose body is almost always on the move.  Flipping a bracelet, bouncing & jumping when happy – this kid is active!  But during these sessions, I can see his body completely relax and be still.  His stress level dissipates, and the looks of love and peace that come over him (and that he shares with me and his therapist) absolutely convince me that he is benefiting from these treatments.  And that’s enough for me to keep it going.   

But beyond that, I believe that this quiet time also feeds him spiritually.  Of course I don’t have any hard evidence of this, except that I sense that this child growing young man is very deeply connected to God and the spiritual realm.  It doesn’t hurt that the women who have provided these therapies to him see him as an absolutely pure soul.  They see no disability, and see his differences as a gift to be nurtured and cherished despite the world not understanding or seeing.    

No comments: