We’re going to get T that vaccination. I’ve struggled with this decision for awhile, but Rob & I are in agreement. The final clincher came to me when I thought back on this year…attending the conference where I head Paul Offit speak, doing research on both the pros and cons of vaccinations, weighing our options and looking back at T’s experience w/ getting his vaccinations…and I thought that perhaps this is why all this pro-vaccine information came into my life this year. I was being prepared to make this decision. T has never had an adverse reaction to vaccines. He is fully vaccinated. He didn’t regress. And I’ve heard enough about the high-risk populations – he’s in two: 1) he’s under age 24 and 2) he is developmentally delayed and might have some neurological challenges. And I’ve also heard enough about dead kids.
I can deal with side effects. Hell, we’re already dealing w/ autism, if that’s what everyone’s scared of. But I don’t want to deal with dead.
But here’s the caveat: if at all possible, I don’t want him getting the vaccine with thimerosol. Research has exonerated this preservative, but I’m still not jumping up & down with glee over the prospect of injecting him with it. I was able to find a thimerosol-free injection for his seasonal flu shot, now I just need to track one down for H1N1. Wish me luck and good timing – it will probably have to be a “right place at the right time” sort of situation.
Now we just need to find a vaccine. Our county has held a few huge clinics – thousands of people lined up for hours – and I have not taken him to any of those. Yeah, standing line for hours with a child who has trouble holding still and exposing ourselves to all the germs that those thousands of people surely would bring…and then there would be no guarantee that he’d get a thimerosol-free version…nope…not signing up for that. So I’m praying for a calm, stress-free opportunity to get him either the nasal spray version or the single-dose injection.