Friday, September 05, 2008

Fact-checking

I promise I won't post too many political comments, but when the candidates speak about special needs children, it's fair game here. This one begs to be voiced. Sarah Palin certainly grabbed my attention Wednesday night when she pledged to be an advocate in the White House. I hoped this to be true. Turns out I may have been right to await judgement. This quote is from a blogpost on the CBS news website, fact-checking Palin's speech.

Palin: "To the families of special-needs children all across this country, I have a message: For years, you sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters. I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House."

Sarah Palin might have changed her mind on this one recently. However, a comment here notes that Palin actually slashed funding for schools for special needs kids by 62%. Budgets: FY 2007 (pre-Palin), 2008, 2009 (all pdfs).

Here is the link to the whole article. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/04/politics/animal/main4414049.shtml

Maybe now that she has a 4 month old with Down Syndrome, she's changed her mind on that. But wouldn't that be flip-flopping?

2 comments:

lemming said...

Palin was so worried about concealing her pregnancy that she missed what Bristol was up to - narcissism?

Anyway, I firmly believe that Palin is being used as a poster child, er, woman, and that Trig is icing on the cake... never mind that he is a person with essential needs which will not be met.

oh, wait, they will, because the Palins can afford it.

Maddy said...

Hmm indeed. Actions speaking louder than words for me.
Cheers